Wednesday, November 21, 2007

SCAPE GOAT

Usually i consider myself current. Not so these days. Things slip by me because i have decided to get on the 'Life' band wagon. Whats the point of being on the outside looking in. Those days are behind me now.

I heard something happened today. The tori shocked the hell out of me. I really don't know why. I am so rarely shocked these days.
I don't know what to call it sef. Naivete, stupidity or just plain old Mr Greed. You decide. This time i am just on the fence.

Two sixteen year old WOMEN (yes i said women. 16 yrs old people are not kids) might be looking at up to 3yrs in a Ghanaian prison for drug smuggling. Cocaine to be precise.

Yasemin Vatansever and Yetunde Diya (Britico born kids. One with Cyprus blood and the other naija to the surface) were caught with 13lb (6kg) of cocaine (worth £300,000) in two laptop computer bags. They have had their day in court and were declared guilty today.

Well they are not the first to do this kind of stuvzzzz but they are the international example. I am not sure i believe the cock and bull tale about a man luring them to Ghana where he gave them the cocaine to carry back the the UK. There is more to it than meets the eye sha.

I just hope the families are able to stay strong through the ricochet effect of their daughters' actions.

A few weeks back it was a french group trying to get 103 kids from Chad to France for adoption. Don't they have enough kids in their country to adopt? I thought charity began at home.

I noticed something about Africans in general. We just get on with life and don't dwell on stuff (good or bad). We also have this laid back approach to rules and laws. We have this 'If it doesn't concern me or someone i know, it is none of my business' outlook on life'. Because of this, some people out there are exploiting the hell out of some countries.

So these cases go to show that if your ways are not straight be very very careful. Some people are trying to draw the line and lay down the law.
I doubt if corruption is being stopped totally. That will definitely take a while.
I however strongly believe that some countries are making a very public display of taking no nonsense. Commendable in it's own right. I just hope it lasts and is not a move to look good to the 'international community'.

3 comments:

rethots said...

...'tis unfortunate. Heard about the teenage girls (refuse to agree to women) & the chadian children.
While i won't go into fine points of each case; it scares me that as you said we "have this laid back approach to rules and laws." So, guess it behooves us (who know) to begin to lend our voices when we notice (or see) something wrong.

Someone said; "What can you (one man) do?
And i replied; "We only need a few good men, if they persevere long enough, their attitudes will eventually cause a ripple effect. This we can be almost certain will bring about the change we so much need now (esp in Nigeria)."

Excellently written.

Unbiased said...

@rethots
I refered to them as women because i think we are living in an age where people mature far faster. I see 13yr olds who are almost as mature as i was at 21 (damn scary).

Lets call a spade a spade. Especially in nigeria. Most people dont really seem to care if someone else breaks the rules. We live individually and are concerned with ourselves and our 'circle' so to speak.

Maybe one man at a time we can get that revolution we so desperately need.

lemonade factory said...

its rather unfortunate ,i wonder what led those girls into such act cos i refuse to believe they would agree to carry a box with which the contents they knew nothing of in this day and age common cut me some slack the story just doesnt fit,anyways they hold the passport to the worlds no 2 country.they wont serve a long prison sentence and that if they are not brought home to serve their jail terms

as per the chadian story dont know much about dat,unbiased hows the face remedy u have gotten back to us yet