Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This is my life...........................1


Hi, My name is Shaniqua. Don't ask me what that mean? I don't even think my parents spelled it right. They were trying to give their child a nice 'Black American' name. Connect to the 'motherland' and all. What the HELL??!!!!
My parents are Nigerian!!!
Why couldn't i get a proper name like Sola, Kike, Ibukun, Tunmishe, etc. My poor brother got saddled with Tyrone. The poor young man (I say this shaking my head).
My childhood was mega weird i swear.
I never knew what my parents did, my dad was never around much. My mum was always in school and working (Poor woman). I was never hungry or anything but that was not the problem. I needed some bloody protection. I didn't want to have to look after myself. But anyways needs must and no need to cry 'bout the past now.

Getting home from school was always a nightmare. As bad as we had it my mum spent every penny to make sure my bro and I went to a 'posh' school. BLOODY HELL!!! I am a poor black kid in a posh school!! I ain't got nothing to pose with except my blackness. But i digress. We will come back to that later. Imagine the trip from school. On the bus you just watch the whole neighbour hood change from posh to ghetto.
It's like night and day. Everyone is like a zombie. Just going through the motions and not caring about what is happening around them. I stare straight ahead or at the ground when i am walking. I ain't gonna catch nobody in the eye!! (That alone will guarantee you at least a sound beating).
I made a point to stop half way home to get changed in the nearest fast food joint so i ain't wearing my uniform in my neighbourhood. (I could get kill for such foolishness).
I lead a double life. One for my posh friends from 9-1pm and another for the rest of the day with my friends from the neighbourhood. My best friend is called kiki (I always tease her that it sounds like a dogs name and all but she don't mind no more).

I am 21 right now and this is the story of my life. I will try as much as possible not to be random and jump around like mad but somethings need to be said.

© 2007 by Unbiased, All Rights Reserved

0 comments: