Monday, April 21, 2008

AM I REALLY A COWARD?

This whole weekend i wanted to get some quality rest so i basically slept Saturday away in front of the TV with cereal and popcorn.

Sunday i got to read the psalm in church. yayyy!!! My Bible experience sure helped. (You all need to go and buy it). I learned how to read with all the emotions and fire the passage demanded. I felt i was able to carry people on a journey to feel what the writer felt when he wrote the psalm.
Truth is i nearly bawled my eyes out. lol!!
So fast forward to the sermon.

It was based on 1st Samuel 14. See Saul (the king before David) was camped out waiting for the prophet to enquire from God on what to do (start the battle or not). Obviously his naughty headstrong son Jonathan got tired of waiting, crept out of camp and decided to start the fight.

His papa had 600 soldiers but bobo decided that two against an army was a fair fight (After all he had God on his side abi?). Long and short, God helped out and the battle was won. Saul woke up and decided not to wait but seize the opportunity to finish what God has started.

So now preacher looks at us and asked who would you be? Saul or Jonathan. 'Saul', i said before i could hold back. The church used that moment to go deathly quiet. (ye mo gbe). I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me but lo and behold the thing no greee cooperate.

On a serious note though let's be truthful with one other. How many of you would carry yourselves and go do a 2 versus an army (Sorry but the bible didn't say how many the philistines were) fight? I understand the philosophy of no pain no gain but................

I wouldn't go o!! I would rather play dead and hope a dead body fall on me to protect me sef. We are talking life and death, blood and gore. Not unbiased o!!
I am all for sticking up for what you believe in but i also pick my fights. The prophet is still consulting so what assurance did Jonny have that he was not on a suicide mission?

He was not even with another soldier o!! Just an armour bearer. Probably a young teenage boy. If i was his shield carrier i would have done both number 1 and 2 in my pants and run off to go and tell his father on him fast fast. Did you know that Saul took a census to find out who left camp before deciding to help out? He waited to count and name 598 people. Honestly there must have been angels on the battle field that day for that boy not to die.

Well God did save the day and gave them the victory. He responded to Jonny's blind faith in him and rewarded his courage.

It sounds good and all and i rejoice but all i am saying is i would not have done that kain thing. Does that make me a coward?

4 comments:

Rinsola said...

Isn't it amazing how you learn new things every now and then about the Bible? I believe God's grace intervened for Jonathan.

Unbiased said...

Yeah so do i!! That was a true definition of grace. I also think that there was something between the lines unsaid cause i dont think he was suicidal. lol!!
Something inspired his confidence.

rethots said...

...this is quite thot-ful. It may not necessarily make you a coward, 'cos you just could mean you would rather wait for His word.

But then, a very interesting story....one to be meditated on.

Thanks

darkelcee said...

thought provoking post!

i need to ask myself the same question....am i a coward?